Colwall Village Society Newsletters
Pdf versions of the newsletters can be viewed by clicking on the blue links.
- March 2019
- Andy Ball: In Praise of Stamps Orchard
- November 2018
- David Hodgson: WW1 and St. Edwards Orphanage.
- September 2018
- Wendy Thompson: Colwall Allotments - So where are they then?.
- June 2018
- Barbara Eagles - Obituary.
Andy Ball: The Ball Family during the Great War.
James Bowen (Victoria County History): Love and Incest in 1th century Colwall.
- April 2018
- TIC Malvern: A Ridge Top Walk.
TIC Malvern: John Masefield.
- January 2018
- TIC Malvern: Tunnels through the Hills.
Wilfred Harper: The Doomed Pleasure Palace on the Hills.
- September 2017
- John Fagg (Victoria County History): The Growth of Population in Victorian Colwall.
David Whitehead (Victoria County History): Brand Lodge, Upper Colwall.
Mary Clayburn: From the Archives . Perrycroft Lodge
- June 2017
- Celia Kellett (Victoria County History): Colwall and the Railway - 19th Century accidents and mishaps.
Jane Adams (Victoria County History): Elementary Education in Colwall.
Chairman's report to AGM 24th April 2017.
- January 2017
- Tom Marsh Lt Col Re (retd) OBE Obituary.
Mary Clayburn: Colwall Archives.
Emma Mawby (Victoria County History): Colwall Census 1851-1901 : times of change.
- September 2016
- World War One Postcard Pictures of Colwall.
Lorna Cook: Reflections: Part Three. Childhood at Hoe Farm - WWII
- July 2016
- Lorna Cook: Reflections: Part Two. Childhood in Colwall - WWII
Jonathon Comber: Rev. Arthur Cecil White ( Vicar of Colwall) World War II Diary.
Chairman's report to AGM 18th April 2016.
- April 2016
- Lorna Cook: Reflections: Part One. Childhood in Colwall - WWII
- January 2016
- Amanda Simons: Evendine Court School. Origns of the school at Camp End, Jubillee Drive
Marion Percy - MBE.
- August 2015
- David Hodgson: The Will of Charles Dickens and the Malvern Connection - Part Two.
Information about the German Pilot who may have been a pupil at Malvern College.
Colwall Bird Survey.
- June 2015
- Mariegold Ward: Purley House. The Purlieu. History of the house with names of occupants. Mid 18th century to 1915.
David Hodgson: The Will of Charles Dickens and the Malvern Connection.
Chairman's report to AGM 20th April 2015.
- January 2015
- David Hodgson: Humphrey Walwyn.
Reminiscences by Barbara Eagles October 1940.
- September 2014
- David Hodgson: Rope Making in Colwall. History of village residents. 1841-1934
- July 2014
- Article from the Malvern Gazette & Ledbury Reporter, August 30, 1979: Tunnelling through the Malvern Hills for 10 bob a shift.
Nicholas Neve: Colwall War Memorial.
Chairman's report to AGM 20th April 2014.
David Hodgson: Rope Making in Colwall (to be continued).
- April 2014
- Barbara Miller: The Countess and Colwall (A tale of two women and their "dashing" husbands). Mr Roland Cave-Browne-Cave
David Hodgson: Transcription of a Document Relating to Transfer of Land in Colwall.
- January 2014
- David Hodgson: The Village Tannery.
- October 2013
- L.T.E. Goodwin: The Runt (Final Part). Childhood memories 1913-1918
Robin Everett: Night Mail: Wystan Hugh Audenn, Benjamin Britten and the Colwall Connection.
- July 2013
- L.T.E. Goodwin: The Runt . Childhood memories 1911-1913
Barbara Miller: "A Fair Field Full of Folk". Life in the 14th Century
Michael Milne: Chairman's Report.
- April 2013
- Nicholas Neve: National Hunt Racing at Colwall Park Racecourse [Part Two] 1900 to 1939.
- January 2013
- Nicholas Neve: National Hunt Racing at Colwall Park Racecourse [Part One] 1900 to 1939.
- October 2012
- Ross Rayburn: "Wealth of Water and Wickets" Reproduced from B'ham Post Weekend 18/03/1995. Stephen Ballard, Malvern water & cricket
Reproduced by Barbra Eagles: Some 75 Years before... an extract from Kelly's Almanac for 1921. Description of Colwall and information
- July 2012
- Michael Milne: Chairman's report to AGM 24th April 2012.
Has the Stone Shrunk or Sunk. Photo
Michael Milne: Colwall Hill National School (C of E).
Reproduced by Barbra Eagles: Mr and Mrs Charles Pedlingham and Family outside 'Joyces' (Stowe Lane). Photo
Transcription (modern spelling) of the Scory/Westfaling dispute over Colwall Park - Part ll .
- April 2012
- David Hodgson: Transcription of the Old Castle Estate of Mrs B Pytt.
Robin Everett: Vera Brittain Visits Colwall. Extracts from her Diary for 1939.
- February 2012
- Liz Boocock: Colwall Singers.
Transcription (modern spelling) of the Scory/Westfaling dispute over Colwall Park - 1596.
David Lovelace: Talk on Colwall Park (January 30th 2012). The Flap Gate entrance to Colwall Park
- October 2011
- Rebecca Roseff: Going With The Flow; How Colwall Stream Reaches The River.
Elizabeth Lloyd: The Bright Family in Colwall.
Two Plaques In Six Weeks!. Elizabeth "Betty" Snowball and Bruce Bairnsfather.
- July 2011
- Mike Lewis: Our Visit to Hope End.
Colwall Village Society Plaques. Elizabeth "Betty" Snowball and Bruce Bairnsfather.
Charles Bruce Bairnsfather (Born 9th July 1887 - Died September 1959).
Elizabeth "Betty" Alexandra Snowball (Born 9th July in Burnley, Lancashire - Died 13th December 1988 in Colwall).
- March 2011
- Agenda for AGM to be held on 18th April 2011.
Martin Colman: Hoe Court and the Binyon Connection.
Tim Bridges: St James Church Colwall in Context. List of comparative buildings.
- September 2010
- Kind permission of Barbara Eagles: Wartime Entertainments for Colwall (1942 or 1943).
Late Mr Henry Meates. Former resident: Colwall Reminiscences. Recollections of 1850-1900. Story of a Black Ghost. When the Railway Came. Verger who Prodded Sleepy Churchgoers
Given by Tom Marsh. Article from the Royal Engineers Journal.: Major General Logan Scott-Bowden CBE, DSO, MC & Bar. Article on Maj. Gen. Scott-Bowden's mother
CVS History and Water Maps. Availability
- July 2010
- Chairman's report at AGM 26th April 2010.
Colwall Funday Day - 31st May 2010.
Marion Percy: Piers Plowman.
Colwall Ghost Stories. Request
Michael Burke - RIP.
- April 2010
- David Hodgson: John Unett - Chartered Accountant and Author (1906 - 1984).
Colwall Shops - As Remembered by the Late Peter Pedlingham. List and map
- January 2010
- Terry Dipple (of Fairfield, Ohio, USA): Request for Information - Charles Dipple and family. Photo
James Ferguson: "The Ledbury Run". Map of 'run'
Elizabeth Pitkin (nee Perryman): The Perryman family in Colwall.
- October 2009
- Janet Sutton: At last a picture of Aunt Alice!. The Scarecrow Day in Colwall
Conrad Shail: Geopark Way Trail - Update 3. Guide
The CVS Exhibition at the Horticultural Show - 8th August 2009. Plaque voting forms
- July 2009
- Michael Milne: Peter Pedlingham.
Ian Rowat - Chairman of Conservators: Balancing Act. Malvern Hills
Freda Ballard: The Ballard Family.
Chairman's report for AGM 27th April 2009.
Marion Percy: The Mystery of the Missing Milestone!. Photo
- April 2009
- Barbara Eagles: Memories of 'The Stores'. Photo
By a Special Correspondent: Transcript from Unidentfied Newspaper Cutting, Dated February 15th 1944. The Pedlinghams are ordinary folk - but SO exclusive!
James Ferguson: Colwall's Nature Reserves.
Colwall Gets Its New Bridge At Last!.
- January 2009
- Gwyneth Rees: 'Aunt Alice' Exhibition. Photos
Society's First Commemorative Plaque. Dame Laura Knight
Steam Trains In Colwall.
Barbara Eagles: Colwall Shops In The Past.
Funny, Isn't It? . Handbill - "Stolen. A valuable Horse Road Sweeping Machine
Marion Percy: David's Grove. David Percy
Conrad Shail: The Mystery of the Missing Madonna. Requesting information
- September 2008
- Two Plaques Erected. 1983 - 2007 Upkeep of Station gardens
Dame Laura Knight. Agreement for plaque
Aunt Alice Repairs. Donations request
1881 Census. Collating records
Herefordshire and Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust. Sites chosen
- March 2008
- Some good nights out. Derek Lewis retiring as Chairman
Willow Spring. Restored
Conrad Shail: Geopark Way Trail - Update 2.
Archive News. Donation of Minute Book by Horticultural Society
Anniversaries in 2008. Village Society, Colwall Players & Colwall Singers
- January 2008
- Conrad Shail: Geopark Way Trail Update.
Colwall Railway Bridge. Traffic management system introduced Dec 2007
Chris Sennett: Orchard Survey in Colwall.
The Royal Malvern Spa Concert Hall.
- September 2007
- Colwall Railway Bridge. Opened for pedestrians
Ken Gaines (Elder of the church): The Old Organ at the Wyche Free Church.
Milkmen in Colwall. List supplied by Ken Hughes
Archive News. 3 photos of dedication of the Church, Upper Colwall 3 photos of Flower Show 1948. Photo of Ledbury Hunt 1910 showing Temperance Hotel & Post Office 'The Story of Ebrington Road'. 'A Light on the Hill' Wyche Church. Minute Books of Ratepayers Ass. Invoices etc from Lockyears and shops 1950s - 80s. Copy of Racecourse grandstand
- June 2007
- Mrs Phyllis Benson (nee Powell): Mrs Emma Powell and Lockyear's Garage.
Dr Johathan Pearce: A Doctor in Colwall.
- March 2007
- Conrad Shail: Geopark Way Trail.
Archive News. Midland Edition of Radio Times March 10, 1950
Terry Dipple of Ohio. 35 ancestors traced
Blacksmiths in Colwall. Corrections to article in Newsletter June 2006
- January 2007
- Deb Turnbull: Malvern and Abberley Hills Geopark - Trail Guide.
Paul Picton: Old Court Nurseries, Colwall - Two families, three generations.
- September 2006
- Marion Percy: Another Smithy. Smithy at Colwall Green
Michael Milne: Colwall Hill School.
- June 2006
- What happened? (Dowsing Experience Day).
Marion Percy: Blacksmiths in Colwall.
- February 2006
- Programme changes.
- January 2006
- Nicholas Neve: History Recording. Booklet
Recent additions to the Archive.
- September 2005
- Railway bridge. August 2005 road narrowed to one lane
Mr Ken Gaines: From the Archive. 4 page leaflet Wyche Mission Chapel
- July 2005
- Chris Sennett: Looking around... Flower fields.
Why Jenny Lind chose Colwall.
Park Farm. Restoration
- January 2005
- Joyce Ingledew: A Mediaeval Tragedy. Black Death
Village Archive. Acquisitions and purchases
Unitary Development Plan. Start
- September 2004
- R.A.H. Lechmere: The Germans have Landed!. Local Defence Volunteer
History of an Upper Colwall Cottage.
Update on Milestones.
- July 2004
- Orchids in Colwall.
Are you Troubled by Weeds?. Sephen Ballard invention
Frontline Colwall. Memories from the 2nd World War
Unitary Development Plan.
- March 2004
- Derek Lewis: Chairman's Report.
Tom Marsh: The Folk Who Lived on the Hill'.
- January 2004
- New History Booklets Complete.
Death of Irene Southall.
Michael Burke: How many miles to Babylon?. Milestones
Chris Sennett: Mistletoe in Colwall.
- September 2003
- Derek Lewis: Mr Jenny Lind. Auction of autograph letter by Jenny Lind
Irene Southall: Rock Bottom (concluded). Geology
Chris Sennett: From the Archive. Transcript of 'An English Village'
- June 2003
- Derek Lewis: In the Swim. Swimming pools in the area
Graham Cowan: Formation of a Village History and Archaeological Interest Group.
Aerial Photos on Display.
Ladbury Reporter & Guardian 29/1/1923: A Tale of Two Tunnels. Tunnel through Malvern Hills
Irene Southall: Rock Bottom (part 2). Geology
- April 2003
- Susan Bond: Chairman's Report.
David Ward: Parish Pictoral Map.
Jim Savage and Graham Cowan: Colwall Then and Now.
- January 2003
- Graham Cowan: An EGGs-acting Problem to FOX you. Foxes stealing birds' eggs
Irene Southall: Rock Bottom. Geology
Joyce Ingledew: Colwall in 1901. 1901 Census
Trees in the Wind. Trees blown down 26/27 October 2002
Millennium Room Archive. 'A Herefordshire Miscellany'
- September 2002
- Jubilee Pictorial Map. Availability
James Ferguson: Discovery Walks.
James Ferguson: Colwall Green - an update. Colwall Green management
From the Archives - From beacons to telephones.
- June 2002
- Marie Ritchie: Preserving Memories. Tape recorded interviews
G W Grundy: From the Archives - Convalescents in Colwall. Carnbrea' Beacon Road
Bird Survey Results.
- April 2002
- Susan Bond: Chairman's Report.
Susan Bond and Graham Cowan: The Millennium Room and archive.
Nicky Carless: Colwall Village Design Statement.
Derek Lewis: History projects.
- January 2002
- James Boyd: A New Railway History - Don't stand up in the Tunnel. Downs Light Railway
Improvement of the Sewage Works.
Where's that name from?. How did Colwall get its name?
From the Archives - Hotels andTariffs in 1930-31.
- September 2001
- Wild Flowers on Colwall Green.
Joyce Ingledew: 'Perrycroft'.
Irene Southall: Not so much fun....... Iron Age hill forts
Village Design Statement goes to press.
- June 2001
- David Ward: Aftermath - The Good News. Foot and Mouth epidemic
All the Fun of the Fair?. Iron Age hill forts
Margaret Freed: From the Archives. Colwall shops in the 1940s
- April 2001
- Susan Bond: Chairman's Report.
Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement . Completion
Joyce Ingledew: 'Colwall through the Millennia'. Proceeds to fund Parish Pictorial map
Derek Turner: History projects. Progress reviewed
Liz Taylour: Hedgerow Survey Group. Results
- December 2000
- Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement. Final draft
Unitary Development Plan. Public comment in Autumn 2001
Telecomms mast refused.
'Colwall through the Millennia' warmly received.
Joyce Ingledew: From the Archives. Bishop Lacy
Racecourse research goes national. Colwall Park Race Club
Colwall on the internet.
- June 2000
- Tourism in Colwall.
Millennium Memories. Final proofs of 'Colwall through the Millennia'
Millennium Yew. Planted at St James' Church
Carole Green: The History of Colwall Green. Five pages of manuscript
Sydney H Jones: From the Archives - Colwall: an attrctive village beneath the beautiful Malvern Hills. Ledbury Reporter 5 September 1958
- April 2000
- Susan Bond: Second Successful Year. Membership over 100
Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement. Final draft being put together
Joyce Ingledew: Colwall through the Millennia. At printers
Derek Turner: History projects. 3 projects nearing completion
Rod Lovegreen: Archive Recording Group.
Liz Taylour: Hedgerow Survey Group.
Graham Cowan: Colwall 2000 Domesday.
Derek Turner: New - Bird Survey Group.
- January 2000
- Gems from George Grundy.
David Ward: A Hidden Gem. Schweppes
'Colwall through the Millennia'. Grant of ?5000 by National Lottery
Charity Registration. Registering the Society
- November 1999
- Tourism in Colwall - coping with 'The Visitors'. Public consultation
Archaeology. Survey of Malvern Hills AONB
Conservation areas?. Discussions with Herefordshire Council
Valerie Goodbury: Quarrying, brickmaking and lime-burnng. Cassette tape available
- August 1999
- Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement. Draft
Irene Southall: The h..h..haunting of Barton Holloway. Hope End estate
- April 1999
- Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement.
Colwall Millennium Projects Group. Library extension
David Ward: Annual Review - Millennium Projects. Three projects
- January 1999
- Village Society Millennium Projects. 'Colwall through the Millennia' a Souvenir Booklet
Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement. Response to questionnaire
Re-typing of 'History' completed. 'The History of Colwall'
- November 1998
- History Projects get started. 80 Projects. 29 allocated
Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement Questionnaire.
... and what do you think about a Millennium Project for the Society?.
A major project for Colwall?. Questionnaire to be produced
- September 1998
- Nicky Carless: Village Design Statement.
Liz Taylour: Hedgerow Survey Group.
Derek Turner: History projects.
Have you heard of Colwall Quoinings?. Apple trees donated by H & W County Council
Lockyears Site. Planning permission
Joyce Ingledew: Evendine Lane Mediaeval barn. Lower Farm
Telecomms mast . Application
- May 1998
- First AGM - 'Memory Lane'. First meeting April 14th. Reminiscences available on tape
History projects - getting started. First meeting 21st May.
Liz Taylour: Hedgerow Survey Group. First meeting 23rd April
Colwall and the Millennium. Design a flag
A Village Design Statement - what is it.
Information - What is the Colwall Village Society?. Inaugural Open Meeting 16th February
- March 1998
- History projects. Where do we start?!.
Village Spring Clean.
Village Design Statement - can we influence planning?.
Hedgerows - gone .....
First objects for the Colwall collection!. Ballard token. 'Memories of a Clodhopper'
Telecomms mast. Chances Pitch
A Footpaths Information Board. Donated by Hereford & Worcester County Council
Charity Registration. Clarify possible registration